From the computer to the tabletop, this is all about games. Updated each week-end.
Last month I decided to experiment with increasing the volume of posts I was making to the blog. I have no ambition to increase this permanently, but I wanted to see whether there would be any immediate results from this. There were, but it wasn’t the results I was thinking.
At the start of the month I was thinking quite linearly. Surely more posts would equal more likes and more views, right? Here’s the month by month, including November:
As you can see, there’s a bump, but not much of one. I made 33 posts in November, compared with 22 in October. behind those 11 posts were a lot of hours of writing and publishing. This resulted in a roughly 10% bump in views from one month to the next. The weekly chart shows the sustained lift in views and visitors a little more clearly:
The visitors (the darker blue bar inside the view bar) had a more noticeable list, and this was the only clear signal I could pick up from the experiment. What seemed to happen more often, especially in the second half of the month, was an increase in people being directed here by search engines, principally Google.
A month is too short to draw conclusions, but it seemed that the increased activity in the blog may have had a flow through to search engine rankings. I have no idea of that’s a thing. However there were a couple of instances where people were linking to blog articles here as part of a discussion elsewhere. This resulted in hit spikes to individual articles or even just individual images (usually artwork).
That wasn’t something I had anticipated, but it’s interesting to think about.
The results show, for this blog at least, that there’s a very minor relationship between the number of posts and the number of visitors who drop by. What does seem to happen is that people undertaking searches are more likely to be directed here when the post count hits an average of 1 per day.